We're back baby! Join us for the fourteenth year of BarCamp Philly for even more knowledge-sharing, community-building, and connection-making than ever before. Share your thoughts, questions, and experiences with your fellow BarCampers.
What is a BarCamp?
BarCamp is an “unconference“ – a full day of 60 unique sessions, over 6 timeslots, in 10 rooms at Wharton's Huntsman Hall where attendees build the schedule the morning of the event. Sessions are given on a variety of topics, and the day is created collaboratively – built by the people, for the people.
How does it work?
- If you want to give a talk or host a session, you can write out a card with the talk name and details and hand it to a volunteer at the board, who will schedule your time. Getting there close to 8:15am to post your talk means more options.
- At 9:30, attendees and speakers alike will be able to vote by placing a sticker on the card of a talk they want to attend. The card with the most stickers will get a larger room with more seats – no talk will be kicked off the board, however. Fewer votes just means a smaller room for a more intimate conversation with the audience.
- At 10, we'll kick off the day with opening remarks, send everyone on their way to the first session, and the board-building can resume, with new talks being added throughout the morning. You can come check out the board anytime, or access our digital schedule on any device to see the latest and greatest talk times and rooms.
Can I give a talk?
Of course! We encourage anyone interested in giving a talk to post their topic on the board. But giving a talk – whether it's your first year or your tenth – is not required. Most people are there to listen, learn and discuss in sessions and don't necessarily lead a session.
What kind of talks?
Topics vary from the technical (“WordPress Child Themes”) to the inspiring (“Running: Not Just for the Zombie Apocalypse”). From practiced talks (“Designing for People”) to open discussions (“Nerds w/ Kids Roundtable”). Also, if you don't like the talk you're in, use the “rule of two feet” to get up and go to a different talk.
Jon M. Huntsman Hall
3730 Walnut Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19104
BarCamp Philly will be held in Jon M. Huntsman Hall at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
For anyone riding a train or regional rail to 30th Street Station, transfer to the Market-Frankford (BLUE) line West to 40th street, then walk 2 blocks south to Walnut, and 2 blocks east to Huntsman Hall. You can also take any trolley (GREEN) line (except the #10) and get off at 36th Street. Walk 1 block south to Walnut and 1.5 blocks west to Huntsman.
Metered treet parking is normally available within a few blocks of Huntsman Hall on Saturdays. There is metered parking along Walnut Street and 38th Street. There are also several paid parking lots available on campus, including one at the corner of 38th & Walnut Street, directly across from the venue.
It is a BarCamp Philly tradition to have lunch around campus
with new friends! There are many places to eat nearby with a
large variety of foods.
We'll be updating the list below with more options!
There are lots of food options nearby: find a spot to enjoy lunch with new friends! See a map with lots of options here!
- Food Trucks, across Walnut St next to Pottruck Gym
- Latao Hotpot, 3717 Chestnut St
- Louie Louie, 3611 Walnut St
- Honeygrow, 3731 Walnut St
- Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers, 3925 Walnut St
- Hummus Grill, 3931 Walnut St
- Sweetgreen, 3925 Walnut St
- &Pizza, 3925 Walnut St
- Han Dynasty, 3711 Market St
- Jane G's Dimsum House, 3939 Chestnut St
- The White Dog, 3420 Sansom St
- Greek Lady, 222 S. 40th St
BarCamp Philly is committed to wasting as little as possible. There are two water filling stations by the restrooms to refill bottles. We will provide compostable cups for those who do not have water bottles. Help us save the planet.
It's an action packed day that starts early, so get some sleep the night before and we'll provide the caffeine to and inspiration for the day!
Saturday November 18th
8:00am - 10:00amRegistration and session building
Start your day by getting your T-shirt and badge. Swing by the breakfast table for some coffee and eats. Head to the board to post your talk! Or just mingle with your fellow BarCampers and watch the board fill up.
Heads up: Get to Huntsman Hall early. Slots fill quickly.
10:00am - 10:15amOpening Remarks
Learn what to expect before your first session
10:15am - 1:00pmMorning Sessions (3 Time Slots)
- 10:15am – 11:00am
- 11:15am – 12:00pm
- 12:15pm – 1:00pm
Three sessions, 45 minutes on / 15 minutes off. Find your favorite sessions. If you’re giving a talk, make sure to get to the room early to test your A/V equipment.
1:00pm - 2:15pmLunch
Take a walk around University City, find something good to eat (there’s plenty of it out there). Return in time for the afternoon sessions.
2:15pm - 5:00pmAfternoon Sessions (3 Time Slots)
- 2:15pm – 3:00pm
- 3:15pm – 4:00pm
- 4:15pm – 5:00pm
Three additional sessions in the afternoon. Snacks will be available in the main hall, so don’t fear the afternoon food crash.
5:15pm - 5:45pmClosing Remarks
Who learned something new? Who met someone new? Who gave a talk that hadn’t before? All questions that will be asked during closing remarks.
6:00pm - ?Attendee Events
After a day full of sessions, we'll allow time during final remarks for attendees to present ideas for events. Whether it is grabbing a drink at a local bar, going out to sing karaoke, or taking a walk around campus, the ideas are up to YOU.
The organizations below make BarCamp Philly 14 happen. We can’t thank them enough. Be sure to show them some love if you see them around.
Meet the crew that is helping to make BarCamp Philly happen! These folks work together with our partners and sponsors to give you the best BarCamp experience possible.